Prev: Re: [OT, save for FT related] Re: Star Wars capital ships in resin Next: Re: [OT, save for FT related] Re: Star Wars capital ships in resin

RE: [OT, save for FT related] Re: Star Wars capital ships in resin

From: "Dean Gundberg" <Dean.Gundberg@n...>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:04:07 -0500
Subject: RE: [OT, save for FT related] Re: Star Wars capital ships in resin

> FWIW, I sent the address on the site a few questions; nice, quick
replies.
> For one thing, 1:10000 isn't entirely clear as to how big anything
> particularly is unless you're using the same source book, so, in
answer to
> my query:
>
> 'The length of the 2 ships is just a hair over 2-3/4" long.' That
would be
> the currently available Dreadnought and Heavy Crusier.
>
> We didn't discuss issues such as 'licensing'.

I have been in contact with Odyssey Slipways since they first announced
their 16cm Avenger (Imperial II) class Star Destroyer (also 1/10,000
scale).
These guys also produce replacement parts for the Ertl Star Destroyer
plastic model that are more accurate to what is seen on screen that the
bits
that came with the model.  They and are mainly part of the garage kit
model
crowd but the scale involved makes these items crossover to the gaming
miniatures crowd.

There are a lot of Star Trek, Star Wars and Babylon 5 based kits or
parts
out there without licensing, check out Federation Models for a large
selection (http://www.federationmodels.com/).  Some other items are
interest
are Scale Solutions (http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~ddwwp/) who has had
12.5cm NebulonB available for a couple years and it still seems
available
and they just released a Cloud City.  Sci-Clone
(http://www.sci-clone.com/)
has a 3" IN-EX (not-Enterprise) availabe with decals.

While the lawyers still go after some people, it seems that they do
leave
some small operations alone if their volume is low enough and they don't
make waves.

> Has anyone seen those designs before? I don't recognize them.

They are from the old Star Wars RPG from West End Games which were then
used
by many of the novels and comics as source material.

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://www.star-ranger.com
dean@star-ranger.com