Prev: Re: [OT] Update JohnA Next: RE: [OT] Update JohnA

Re: [OT] Update JohnA

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:07:48 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Update JohnA

On Wed May 14 2003 03:48 pm, Ryan M Gill wrote:

> >I hope some 101st Private overhears him say that and educates him
just
> > enough to make him never want to say that again.
>
> Feh. I agree with John A on the Value of the Airborne in a modern
> environment. Mechanized Warfare (and the Zoomies) won the Gulfwar,
> WWII, Korea (if that's a win) and this latest scrap. It wasn't
> airborne drops. But good old fashioned driving up the highway with
> tanks and trucks and APCs, with an occasional driving over the
> beaches activity. Sure, the para-heads make and take bridgeheads, but
> you can't exactly exploit a breakthrough on foot.

No disagreement there.	Market Garden definitely drove that point home.

I was using a less "Gulf War:  Take Two"-centric view of the issue.  If
the
101st Airborne isn't to be respected, then the history of 101st means
diddly
squat then?  The patch is a symbol of the unit and a tie to it's past.

> To armor (and especially the No-War-4), para's are just a softer kind
> of crunchy, bravado and fisticuffs not withstanding.

Bah, any type or arms, armor included, can lose to any other if the
conditions
are right.  Combined arms win wars.

> >He'd be LUCKY to wear the patch, and ought to be darned honored.
(Which
> > he probably is, but it just being himself.)
>
> Is John A that much of a ticket puncher? I'd expect not.

Not sure what you mean by "ticket puncher"...

--
Flak Magnet (Tim)
www.geocities.com/flakmagnet72

Prev: Re: [OT] Update JohnA Next: RE: [OT] Update JohnA