Prev: Re: [Power Projection] Review Next: In response to "How's the army going?"

6 mm SG 2

From: Glenn M Wilson <warbeads@j...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 18:20:32 PDT
Subject: 6 mm SG 2

Discussion in progress...

Might as well ping some other knowledgable people, too...

<snip>
On Tue, 13 May 2003 15:20:00 -0500 Allan Goodall
<agoodall@hyperbear.com>
writes:
>On Tue, 13 May 2003 11:36:59 PDT, Glenn M Wilson <warbeads@juno.com>
>wrote:
>
>>For DS 2 I put 3-5 figures on a bingo marker for a Fire Team.  I am
>>seriously thinking of trying 1 figure per Bingo marker for SG 2 at 6
>mm
>>scale.  Since a bingo marker is about 20 mm wide this puts one man
>per
>>2.4 meters at 1 cm = 3 meters (300 cm) scale.  Does that sound too
>much?
>>too little?
>
>I think I'm missing something here with the scale. What scale are you
>planning
>to use for SG2? The ground scale in the rulebook is 1" = 10 metres

And this would be at 25 mm scale.

Let's do some math (even if it's wrong you can se my (lack of) logic.
<grin>)

1/300 scale (roughly 6 mm) 1 cm = 300 cm = 3 m.   That seems right so
far...

SG 2 at 25 mm is 1 inch (roughly 25 mm or 2.5 cm) = 10 m.

Assuming the scale change to be constant (I know - it's not.  I used to
be a Cartographer and for simplicity we will ignore two/three
dimensional
reality) we can convert from 25 mm scale to 6 mm scale.  I think... Math
majors and engineers remember that they MADE me take statistics for
Geographers!

X m / 10 m = 6 mm / 25 mm.   Dropping units give X / 10 = 6 / 25 --> X =
10 * (6 /25)

 X  m = 10 m  * (6mm / 25 mm)  - - > 10  * (6/25) results in 2.4 m -
pretty close to 3 m IMO.

25.4 mm /  6 mm give a constant ratio of 4.2333333...  so...
10 m / 4.2333333...  = 2.3622047... m  - still pretty close to 3 m IMO.

This process can be used to see what (and how viable) the range bands
would be for various aspects of the game.

>(aside: the
>game ranges work better at 1" = 15 to 20 metres, though...) If you
>plan to use
>cm in place of inches, that would make 1 cm = 10 metres, wouldn't it?

No, see above.

>In which
>case 1 man in the middle of a 20mm wide marker means that the figures
>are
>going to be spread out 20 metres apart.

No, no, no, no...  I am using 6 mm scale conversions here. <grin>

1 cm (10 mm) = 3 m means there is an approximate 10mm (3 m) space to
each
side of the figure on the 20 mm base.  I can see base to base
representing  6 meters minimum between soldiers.  Not unreasonable
IMNSHO.  More than today? I think maybe so but given the trend to
spreading out to avoid firepower and individual comm units with reliable
comm circuits (the Fiction in science fiction, no?) I feel this is
possible.

Unit integrity would convert from (2 " in 25 mm is 20 m)  to [20 m in 6
mm ] circa 4.728 cm which I would round to 4.75 cm or more likely 4.5
cm.
 A 6 " diameter circle (60 m in 25 mm scale) could convert to, assuming
my math is right,  around 20 cm, or about 8 ",	(60  m in 6 mm scale.)
60 m / 3 m per 1 cm = 20 cm.  If that seems too loose then you can drop
it to 10 cm (about 4 ") in diameter.

<Delete inapplicable result using 1/300th scale distances in stead of 25
mm scale distances.>

>Better yet,
>try
>using one, two, or three of your DS2 fire teams per squad in SG2.

Not a bad idea but I like the 1:1 figure aspect of this level even if
the
actual unit is the squad and not the individual.

I really need to sit down and figure range bands etc in 6 mm scale to
see
if this is worth pursuing.  So far this has been strictly ivory tower
discussion...

>played my
>ACW SG2 rules with figures mounted three to a base for Fire and Fury.
>You need
>to keep track of casualties per base, but it can play reasonably well.
>If I
>were to play SG2 with 6mm, I'd be tempted to just use one fire team
>base to
>represent a single squad.

An interesting idea that I will consider.

>Allan Goodall			agoodall@hyperbear.com
>http://www.hyperbear.com
>
>"The only normal people are the ones you don't know
>well!" - Joe Ancis

That sig block is SO true...

6 mm miniatures rule!

Gracias,
Glenn
R.I.P.	Triphibious@juno.com and Dwarf_warrior@juno.com

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: Re: [Power Projection] Review Next: In response to "How's the army going?"