Prev: Looking for stats on GZG 6 mm figure Next: Re: Dolphins & the OU

Answers to Re: Looking for a particular 1/300 - 1/285 - 6 mm figure

From: Glenn M Wilson <warbeads@j...>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 17:06:48 PDT
Subject: Answers to Re: Looking for a particular 1/300 - 1/285 - 6 mm figure

I got such a great set of answers from all the lists  to the question
that I decided to share them with all of you.

Enjoy!

Gracias,
Glenn

>See if you can find Scotia, they had a lot of the "weird" stuff.  If
>you go the
>GHQ route, it may be a pack of 1-2 of 2-3 different vehicles, not just
>5 of a
>kind.	Of course, they may special package on request.
>
>Michael Brown

------------------------------
G'day,

What some of the guys here have done is take the chassis from a standard
vehicle from their force and put the sensor dish from the FSE
superdreadnaught (full thrust obviously) figure on it (picked these up
from
Nic as they're separate from the main figure). You could do something
similar, not necessarily buying from parts from nic, but using a chassis
from your force and sticking a but or bead to be the sensor stuff on
top.

Cheers

Beth
-----------------------
I use PanEuropean Light Tanks from SJG's Ogre line:

http://www.warehouse23.com/item.cgi?SJG10-0508

You've got the big sensor boom, plus that little radar dish at the back.
Might be a little too high-tech looking for your needs, but hey -- maybe
they've managed to make a purchase from a more advanced ally....

And while I'm talking about SJG, check out this for an interesting
addition
to SGII:

http://www.sjgames.com/miniatures/img/uplift/fen.bw.med.jpg

I'm certainly going to get a few for myself when the set is released;
I'm
not sure about the rest of the Uplift set, but I can't resist that.  The
separate bit, by the way, is the Warmask -- seems to include a pair of
guns, and it would be child's play to add some different ones.

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
It happens I just kitbashed some interesting vehicles: a counter battery

radar vehicle, a tactical operation center and a zone air defence
vehicle.

The base hull for all three is GZG Aurora light wheeled APC (DF-C07),
there's
a picture of it on GZG catalogue, page 31. Bits and pieces are leftovers
from
old aircraft model kits, two hellfire launchers from a 1:300 Apache and
thin
cardboard.

The fast way: find a vehicle you like with a wide flat top or a separate

turret. Stick a stick on the top, it's the radar support. Find something
that
already resembles a radar or cut, bend and fold a piece of plastic card
or
cardboard until it has the right shape and glue it to the support.
Prime,

paint, play.

Ciao,
   Matteo
----------------------------------
Glenn

Have you looked at CinC 's Modern Russian Radar/Air Defence page
There are pictures on the page of the various acquisition radars

Bob
------------------------------------
Try Skytrex (http://www.skytrex.com/) - not sure who distributes in the
US.
In their 1/300th Modern Russians range they have M756, Tracked Dish
Artillery Radar or M797, Straight Flush Radar + Flat Face Radar. In the
British there is M690, FV432 Cymbeline.

A DIY alternative is to take an example of whatever chassis you desire
and beg / steal / borrow a radar from the GW Space Marine vehicle
accessory sprue (on their website as 'Hatch Sprue Land Raider Sprue C')
and glue it on top. If you know anyone who has a Space Marine army they
should have one or two of these to spare since every Dreadnought / Rhino

/ Land Raider variant comes with more accessories than you can possibly
use.

Tony

---------------------------------

Scotia do a nice range of modern Soviet support vehicles and you can
buy individual models.

I'd give them a try.

all the best

Barrie
-----------------------------------
Some of the FT bits that are sold seperately are radar dishes.

Roger Books
-----------------------------
How would the radar from this do ?
http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/NoFrames/SF15/Items/SF15-403c.html

If it's any use, next time you order I'll put one on the chassis of your

choice for the same price as the vehicle (normal head swap deal)

Tony

---------------------------------

One idea I've seen done is to use an APC hull and mount on it a radar
from a
battleship kit (there are some pretty cheap ones out there -- good for
kitbashing).  Another option would be to take any spare model piece with
a grid
or corrugation on it (such as the interior flooring from an APC model),
cut out
a square or ovoid, and then boil and bend it to a slight curvature.

I'll see if I can find any pictures that might give you and idea.

Andreas
---------------------------
AFAIK they sell the radars single (since I can't see any mention of
there being more than one model per pack, whereas there are such
notes for other items). Not sure how large the models are though -
different companies have somewhat different ideas about exactly how
large "1/285" is, and that's without counting those ranges which
claim to be "1/300" or "6mm" :-/

Pfc-in-C have pics of including all their Russian air-defence radars
in their on-line catalogue at

http://www.pfc-cinc.shoppingcartsplus.com/page/page/305463.htm

(if the link doesn't work, use http://www.pfc-cinc.com to reach the
main page instead).

***
I'll be off-line for some days; should be back on-line again on
Sunday.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it.
- Hen3ry
-----------------------------------
Could try the old 1970 British cymberline radar mounted on the FV432 APC
-
It actually is a mortar locating radar

      M690 FV432 Cymbeline (x 4) Price: £1.50

Kev
Dear Glenn

Scotia Long Track radar should do the trick - its in their modern
Russian range. Hmm may be a bit big - perhaps their Pat hand would be
better,

Of cours in Real life these are airdefence radars

Cheers

Bob Mackenzie
-----------------------------------
Check out this page from CnC. I've got a Long Track Radar vehicle and
its
huge(it dwarfs my T80s)!

http://www.pfc-cinc.shoppingcartsplus.com/page/page/305463.htm

You can always order from Scotia but these pictures will give you an
idea
of what they look like.
Cheers
Kieran
-----------------------------
You can get a huge variety of dishes and things for
naval model makers. I am particularly tempted by some
of the turrets and radar/range finders.

One URL is
http://www.euromodels.fsbusiness.co.uk/modftenm.htm

Michael
I didn't follow that thread real close, so I don't know if this is just
what
you're after, but I felt it couldn't hurt to let you see this:

http://www.pfc-cinc.shoppingcartsplus.com/page/page/310092.htm
--
Flak Magnet (Tim)
www.geocities.com/flakmagnet72