Prev: Re: [FT] Worst Gaff Next: RE: [SG] Alien civilians?

Re: [FT] Worst Gaff

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 02:31:25 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] Worst Gaff

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Burger" <yh728@victoria.tc.ca>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 6:51 PM

> My worst screwup came the one and only time I played cinematic FB, and
> flew most of my Phalon squadron into their own plasma bolts... That 6"
> burst radius vs the 3" vector radius bites!

Heh.... I remember that.  I was on the other side of that.

It wasn't the worst thing I've seen someone do at a con against me
though.
That would have pretty easily been the opposing fleet admiral at one of
my
first RadCons where I played FT.  Mostly stock ships out of the FT and
MT
books, before the fleet books came out.  The opposing side was on a
mission
to evacuate a team of research scientists from a planetside base before
my
fleet came in and pulverized them.  I was given fleet admiral duties of
my
side, took a SDN as my flagship with a token escort or two, gave a set
of
needle missile cruisers to one colleague with orders to flank to one
side of
the planet to take out as many drives as he could, a squad of light
cruisers
to another colleague to flank from the opposite direction, while I went
down
the middle with the flagship to methodically mop up in a close pass to
the
planet itself.

The opposing fleet admiral took their BDN and torpedo cruiser, which
represented most of their real firepower, into a high-speed pass
directly at
me.  He got one barrage off, overshot me at way too high a speed, and
promptly flew off the table in the next couple of turns.  He failed he
re-entry roll and forced his fleet to try and carry out the evacuation
with
its primary fleet elements eliminated for basically no return
whatsoever.

Probably my own biggest screw-up was the one time I tried to go
half-and-half with cloakers and non-cloakers in a one-off game.  I
discovered very quickly that that doesn't work at all.	The non-cloakers
were outclassed two-to-one by the enemy while the cloakers were sneaking
around, and by the time the cloakers became visible they found that all
their comrades had been rendered permanently invisible.  Oops.	That was
fleet paradigm that didn't get used twice.  Either all non-cloak, nearly
all
non-cloak, or all cloak from then on.  Half-and-half doesn't work.

(aka Stilt Man)

Prev: Re: [FT] Worst Gaff Next: RE: [SG] Alien civilians?