Prev: Re: Scale Question: GZG Vs. Denizen Next: RE: Basing GZG 25mm Figures

Re: Basing GZG 25mm Figures

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:53:29 -0400
Subject: Re: Basing GZG 25mm Figures

>    Greetings All,
>    I recently bought the GZG April Fools Stargrunt deal, so I'm
sitting
>on 48 25mm figures.  I know in the rules they recommend 1 inch wide
>bases, and there are occasions where that inch can be important, but
I'm
>not particularly eager to stick such small figures on such a large base

>- - it seems out of proportion to me.	I notice on some webpages and
even
>in the rule book figures are occasionally used with just the molded on
>base, and I'm thinking of going that route.  Has anyone had any serious

>problems with that strategy?  My major concern is with the figures
>standing up actually.	All my terrain is in another city, so I can't
>take them for a "test stand" on my hills and so forth.

Hi Nick,

I don't know where you're located, but if you have access to North
American
pennies (either US or Canadian - they're the same size), you could try
using those.

I find that the moulded-in bases that come with the SG figures are just
too
small - the figs don't stand up well on their own.  All of my figs are
based on pennies, and they work really well - a good combination of big
enough to help with tipping but not so big that the bases become
obtrusive
or prevent the figures from bunching up when you need them to...

And, of course, they're... inexpensive.

The only issue with pennies (well, with any other type of base really)
is
that you then have a gap around the bottom of figure - between the old
base
and the new base.  I use 2-part 5-minute epoxy to glue the figs to the
pennies, and if you use the right quantity of glue, you can get it to
"squish out" around the edges of the existing base and go quite far
toward
filling that gap.  After the glue is dry, I use a quick drying modeling
putty to fill in the remaining gap.

It works well, looks seemless once the figures are completed (and I've
flocked the bases), and it certainly improves their stability.

If you'd like to take a peek at this method on a finished figure, check
out:

http://www.stargrunt.ca/gallery_modeling/sg2_gal_gurkhas/sg2_gal_gurkhas
_8.htm

-Adrian

Adrian Johnson
adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca

Prev: Re: Scale Question: GZG Vs. Denizen Next: RE: Basing GZG 25mm Figures