Prev: counters for DS2...... Next: Re: Linked scenarios for ECC next year?

Linked Games for ECC

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 02:02:01 -0400
Subject: Linked Games for ECC

Damo,

A number of us have attended a small con
(CampCon) for the last couple of years and
used this exact concept for our weekend of
gaming.

In the first iteration, the scenarios all linked one
to another, and this necessitated some pretty
'airy' planning for the final stages, given the
potential force balances.

In the second iteration (much better IMO), the
scenarios were pre-set (pretty important for
things like bringing figs) but the overall
campaign victory was an amalgam of the
results of the five scenarios, and part of the
linkage was each side getting 4 chits for
reinforcements. Each represented about a 10%
bump in forces. If you played one at scenario
start, you were gauranteed the forces. If you
waited to call it in mid-game (hoping maybe
not to spend it at all that game), you rolled and
had a 50-50 chance (IIRC) of getting the forces.
If not, the counter was unused but you couldn't
call in any more reserves for the remainder of
that game.

As it turned out, I think the first couple of
games saw maybe 1 chit played each side (in
the DS game, none in FT) and the SG game saw
the remainder played. It was a very bloody see-
saw game.

Reinforcements we let be some choice from the
available units (more infantry, more vehicles,
arty, etc). In DS and FT, points were directly
assessible. In SG, the GM applied a bit of
discretionary thinking.

Both varieties worked okay.... the linked linear
list led to each iteration impacting the setup
forces for the next one. But the second one
with five independent but associated in the
same campaign scenarios with reinforcement
chits worked very well.

I'd be interested (potentially, depends on what
kind of games and what the background story
is) in running part of a larger linked game.
Having ran Grey Day To Die with Los, I have
some perspective on running large games
(which are a lot of fun, but boy do they take a
while) and having helped setup several of these
linked scenario weekends, I'd find it quite
enjoyable to discuss this. You can drop me
some e-mail off-list if you want to hash about
some ideas.

Tomb.

Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: counters for DS2...... Next: Re: Linked scenarios for ECC next year?