Prev: RE: Figure Casting Question Next: SG2 Players in Milwaukee?

RE: Figure Casting Question

From: "Dean Gundberg" <Dean.Gundberg@n...>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:50:34 -0500
Subject: RE: Figure Casting Question

> >Correct. There is some detail on the underside, but you never see it
when
> >playing the game. It should work well with resin. I have seen resin
for
> sale
> >in Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Would this stuff work for making models
>
> I think this might be the 'clear' stuff. Also, I don't think they sell
the
> RTV mould making kits. You're supposed to use simply-shaped moulds for
> embedding items in the resin. Think domed paper weights.

Those places also sell a bush on latex rubber for molds.  It would work
for
1 piece simple molds where the other side is flat.  I have some and plan
use it whenever I scratchbuild some ships.

Other than that clear resin, there are some other inexpensive options
for
making the minis.

Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty (http://www.waterputty.com/) is available
pretty cheap at most hardware and home improvement stores in the US at
around $6 for 5 pounds and it is supposed to be much harder than
plaster.
Also Dental plaster if you can find it.  Online you have to get 50
pounds or
more at a time but you might have a local dental supply store where you
can
get less.

An interesting place for more information on these materials and one
piece
mold casting is the website for Hirst Arts (http://www.hirstarts.com/)
who
sell molds were you can cast your own bricks to make castles and other
buildings - think of it as making your own LEGOs for fantasy wargaming
buildings.  The do now have some Sci-Fi molds like this one for a
station
(http://www.hirstarts.com/station/station.html)

.....wait, looks like new listee David Mihail just posted a link to this
site too :-)

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://www.star-ranger.com
dean@star-ranger.com

Prev: RE: Figure Casting Question Next: SG2 Players in Milwaukee?