Prev: Re: IFF was RE: [OT] Question from the news Next: RE: [OT] Question from the news

Re: [OT] Question from the news

From: "Jim Morrison" <Ajax.Dive@b...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:36:22 -0000
Subject: Re: [OT] Question from the news

> 3. I've heard about several 'friendly fire'
> incidents. One involved two Brit tanks
> (Challengers I'll assume, but I could be wrong).
> Don't the tanks have some sort of IFF system?
> (I'd have thought so).

>From what  I understand of it, Challenger II's have no IFF system on
board,
apart from visual markings on the tanks themselves. Now there a nice
spangley new raddio system that was due in service a couple of years ago
that includes the IFF/location thingy that someone else mentioned, but
because there was a major mess up in development the project had to be
restarted from scratch. So they're stuck with 30 year old radios and
have to
use Mk1 eyeball, maps and verbal reporting of position to avoid friendly
fire incidents.

I'm sure it's more complex than that but it sums it up well.

Prev: Re: IFF was RE: [OT] Question from the news Next: RE: [OT] Question from the news