Prev: Alien Thinking Next: Allow me to differ (the [OT] discussion) with Allan

Re: Alien Thinking

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 06:59:03 +0100
Subject: Re: Alien Thinking

----- Original Message -----
From: "staremu" <star_emu@hotmail.com>

> Seems like a season for Aliens.  I went throug hsome of this with my
Tonk.
> I think one problem with tryign to figure out alien psychology is it
is
> still framed within the understanding of terrestrial beasts.	I think
you
> covered them ajors - great note with the Kafer there.  I like that.

I must say, if we are talking "realistic" aliens, I have difficulty
believing something that is entirely outside the behavioural scope of
"terrestrisl" beasts. For one, biology is pretty diverse here, on the
other
hand, I find it hard to believe that behaviour that is obviously
suicidal
for an animal on Earth could have evolved elsewhere.

> One option is to also mandate tactics with rules which overlap into
> psychology.  I was thinking of a particularly guilful species which
responds
> to threats by baiting it.  Much like a mother bird defending her
young.
Not
> sure how you'd model this but you basicly end up with a race that
never
> fights head on

Which is not even that alien. Human fighters use lots of trick in war.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Alien Thinking Next: Allow me to differ (the [OT] discussion) with Allan