Prev: RE: ISO not-Xwing, not-YWing, etc. Next: Re: My Life Story, Philosophy of Design, Colonization Patterns, and other trivia, was Re: DS: Walkers

RE: Soap bubbles?

From: "Chuck Parrott" <chuckparrott@e...>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:17:47 -0500
Subject: RE: Soap bubbles?

Following this discussion with interest, I designed the following vessel
match the soap bubble carrier with 1 flight of 6 standard fighters. More
expensive fighters would give a little more to work with. I'm sure there
are
more effective designs, but I'm a novice to FT/FB having only played
with
other players designs or the book designs only a few times.

Item			     Mass Points
Basic Hull		     (14)     14
Hull Integrity (in 4 rows)	3      6
FTL Drive			1      2
Main Drive (Thrust 4)		3      6
Sub-total			7     28
FCS				1      4
Class 1 Batt (6 arc) x 3	3      9
PDS x 3 			3      9
Sub-total			7     22
Total			       14     50

So my question is would my anti fighter ship, resonably handled, defeat
the
fighters of a soap bubble given average dice luck? I balanced the
firepower
between batteries to engage ships and PDS for fighters. Obviously you
could
increase the PDS 1 for 1 with the bats, but that would leave you without
much anti ship fire. It also presumes that the fighters attack it, which
would have to occur in a 1 vs 1 engagment. But would 10 soap bubbles
overwhelm 10 of these? I think so given that the fighters could gang up
on a
couple of my ships a turn and probably only lose a few fighters in the
process.

I also designed a pure anti fighter ship like so:

Basic Hull		     (14)     14
Hull Integrity (in 4 rows)	3      6
FTL Drive			1      2
Main Drive (Thrust 4)		3      6
Sub-total			7     28
ADFC				2      8
PDS x 5 			5     15
Sub-total			7     23
Total			       14     51

By itself could only deal with the fighters, but provides protection
against
fighter swarms in numbers. Is it worthless?

So far from my overly simple analysis, it seems fighters themselves are
underpriced for what they can do. Perhaps with other designs I would see
different. But if a 6 pt fighter group has resonable odds of taking down
50 pt vessel even with dedicated anti fighter weapons, it seems to me
that
something's amiss there.

Glady awaiting someone to point out my erroneous thinking.

Chuck