Prev: Re: DS: Walkers Next: Re: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...

Bombardment and Beams

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 15:33:55 -0500
Subject: Bombardment and Beams

I think someone (with a bit of materials or
physics math) could illustrate the amount of
energy required to damage current steel
structures.

I think someone else could show the amount of
energy density required to achieve that and the
amount of raw energy you'd have to throw at a
given square ten km box of space to generate
that.

I think the answer would be amazingly large.

This is why I assume beams are pinpoint
accurate weapons that direct very focused
energies in extremely specific locations and why
the name of the game in the FT time period is
*fire control* *fire control* *fire control*
sensors.

Fire, Fusion and Steel (a Traveller thingie) had a
good explanation of why this would be an
ironclad pain for lasers (and why gravitic lensing
is almost a must). Even absolutely minute
differences in angles of focus make huge
differences of energy density in a beam fired
over thousands or tens of thousands of kms.

Which brings us to bombardments. I suspect a
ships beam is powerful and focused. But it may
not be tuned to go through atmosphere (it is
tuned for vacuum combat). Fire control sensors
are designed to pickup stuff against the
ambient stellar background, not through an
atmosphere on the ground. And the power of
the weapons, though large, is not enough (IMO)
to obliterate cities, etc). Otherwise we'd see a
vastly different style of ground combat in DS2
and vastly different vehicle designs. And fighters
designed for vacuum operation (starfury
anyone?) probably suck rocks in an
atmosphere.

So, I suggest that the specialized ortillery ship
is in fact called for (and lo and behold, the rules
provide!). The ortillery ship has multiple ortillery
modules, point defence, and maybe some B1s
for close in defense. The ortillery modules
deploy OSM (Orbit to Surface Missiles) and
specialized anti-surface beam weapons (that
perhaps are high-powered to burn through the
atmosphere but tuned for the task). The
ortillery ship also has an ability to integrate with
airborne and surface recce and fire direction
systems to give it a good chance of hitting what
it wants. This includes with RPVs, recce sats, and
the like. The Orbital FC ship also probably
deploys a constellation of satellites loaded with
munitions so that it can attack anyplace,
anytime on call (instead of being victim of
orbits). These work a bit like RenLegs Thor
Javelins.

And it seems to me their ought to be a Ground-
Attack type fighter, specialized for in-
atmosphere assaults and surface and
atmospheric envelope target engagements.

Most of the preceding applies to planets with a
terran atmosphere of earth-ish density. As you
thin out the atmosphere, normal starship
sensors and beams become more viable,
though still less specialized than those on a OFC
ship.

Having such things makes the game more
interesting. It presents assets that FT fleets
have to defend (transports too, but OFCs and
orbital C4I centers as well). It also restricts the
domination of the campaign worlds to navy,
navy, navy. If you want to play SG or DS without
constantly applying the "hostile atmosphere" or
other artificial constraints, then there had better
be a way to prevent a single corvette (or even
a small fleet) from threatening any surface
combat action without specialized assets.

It seems to me that the variety of ship designs,
of tactical complexities, and of campaign
scenario options offered by this type of
interpretation makes it the most supportable
from a game interest perspective, especially if
you want to play everything from Grand
Strategic down to Skirmish level games. If the
Navy dominates and orbital superiority is the
whole situation, then none of the ground games
are worth rolling out most times.

Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: DS: Walkers Next: Re: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...