Prev: RE: Unsubing for deployment, JA Next: Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game]

Re: [OT] Space Programs was: Columbia

From: Morton Chalom <telson@a...>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 22:32:51 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] Space Programs was: Columbia

> >Only to American manufacturers ? And will Daimler-Chrysler count as
> >such ?
>Honda is an American manufacturer,
Well, barely.

>  as it has assembly plants here
And that's my point -- I believe you'll find that Honda (and the other
Japanese importers/assemblers) import the majority of their components,
instead of setting up component-manufacturing plants here. So, Japanese
vehicles on average have less than 30% U.S. content, whereas
"traditional"
American manufacturers (Ford, etc.) have 80%+ U.S. content.

So, if we want less pressure on NASA's funding, buy vehicles with a high

domestic content, so the Federal government gets to levy taxes against
the
Assembly plant's wages and again against the wages at the Manufacturing
plants. Unless you prefer to help the Japanese government's funding
issues,
of course.

--Morton

Prev: RE: Unsubing for deployment, JA Next: Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game]