Prev: Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game] Next: [semi-ot] Japanese invent potential cam ;)

scenario ideas [Forwarded with concern] for discussion (but not on Abortion...)

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:54:05 PST
Subject: scenario ideas [Forwarded with concern] for discussion (but not on Abortion...)

First let me make several points:

 1) I do not want to start a discussion on Abortion
 2) I do not want to start a discussion on Abortion
 3) I do not want to start a discussion on Abortion
 4) I do not want to start a discussion on Abortion
 5) I do not want to start a discussion on Abortion
 6) I do not want to start a discussion on Abortion
 7) I do not want to start a discussion on Abortion
 8) I do not want to start a discussion on Abortion
 9) I do not want to start a discussion on Abortion
10) I do not want to start a discussion on Abortion

Hopefully that is clear.

Those who know me should have realized three things -

1) On the abortion issue I make the Pontiff look liberal but I do not
want to start a flame war so please stay on the "scenario" thread... I
have no desire to discuss the "A" issue...

2) Abortion is an issue that divides Christians and non-Christians
across
many stereotype groupings violently that is best settled non-violently
via each nation's legal process.  If such is possible...  But not on
this
thread.  I want to discuss an updated version of the standby ancients
scenario "The girls next door (and stealing them)" in GZG terms.

3)  I want to make it clear that I desperately do NOT want to have
someone post on abortion issues at all.  I want to discuss the impact of
the article's report and it's implications for war games in DS 2/FT/SG
2.

FWIW, I am only posting this to this particular list because I think we
can stick to the intended topic (scenarios) without moving to flame wars
where no one convinces anyone of anything but how rude they can be.  And
I have concerns about that but I hope and think  we can explore the
issue
I am asking about  (scenario ideas) and not abortion.  PLEASE!

All the above should be unnecessary but it probably isn't...  forgive
the
beating the dead horse rant please.

Scenarios discussion:

I will assume the trend spoken about below continues in the early time
of
the Tuffleyverse.  And that it impacts the actions of the ESU and IC
member states.

Please read report from the BBC below and feel free to comment on:

1) scenarios in DS/SG/FT where a "regional/militia"  force goes bride
hunting in a disputed border region or planet to find brides (foreign
fathers might not get a hearing from compliant local officials...) for
the troops.  How to set it up, what considerations might be unique to
the
scenario, possible force structures/nations involved.

2) Rules that might make the security of the females paramount but
minimally artificially limit the players' options.  (In FT all of a
sudden the much maligned NB has a role...)

3) History wise, how might this affect certain debated aspects of the
time line (ESU and IC swallowing India (all of South Asia)  and SE Asia)
to make these events more likely to have occurred?

4) History wise again, How might this process lead to identification as
ESU/IC citizens instead of previous assorted national and ethnic labels?

Who would 'disappear'?	Who would retain the earlier labels intact (so
significantly so)?  Who would retain the label as an identifiable
'hyphenated' name [Chin-Indonesian or Baluchi-Eurasian to pick two at
random]?

Also there have been articles about Asians marrying across certain
national lines and the resulting social chaos as the bureaucracy has
problems dealing with such issues as requiring brides to be to take
courses in the culture of the husband before allowing emigration.  I am
specifically thinking about Japanese and Chinese males marrying women
from other Asian nations.  I believe it was the BBC again where I saw
recent articles on that issue.	Add comments here as you deem it
appropriate, please.

Again, scenarios and time line implications.

Gracias,
Glenn
[cross fingers, toes, eyes and legs....]

<snip>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2723513.stm

Tuesday, 4 February, 2003, 10:51 GMT
	       India's lost girls

	       Ultrasounds seal the fate of female foetuses

	       Jill McGivering
	       BBC South Asia correspondent in Punjab

	       A marriage crisis is hitting thousands of men in
	       parts of rural India which are running out of
	       potential brides.

	       The traditional preference for boys instead of
	       girls has led to widespread abuse of modern
	       pre-natal scans.

	       The technology should protect the health of
	       mother and baby.

	       But, wrongly used, it is a
	       death sentence for
	       unwanted girls.

	       The practice of
	       determining the sex of a
	       foetus and aborting girls is illegal, but
	       widespread.

	       The worst affected states, such as Haryana
	       and Punjab, now have some of the most
	       skewed sex ratios in the world - and the
	       proportion of baby girls is still falling.

	       Buying brides

	       A whole generation of young men is failing to
	       find brides.

	       Many are now resorting to "buying" girls from
	       poor communities outside the region to bear
	       their children.

	       Government officials raid clinics to make sure
	       doctors are not abusing modern technology by
	       tipping off parents they were carrying girls.

	       In many clinics, the
	       illegal and systematic
	       abortion of girls is
	       common practice.

	       In Punjab, special
	       prayers of thanks
	       greet the birth of a
	       boy. Prejudice runs
	       deep. Girls are born
	       into silence.

	       "People say, you have
	       two girl children, you
	       have done some sins in your past life," said
	       office manager Surinder Saini.

	       "With a boy child, people say your generation
	       will propagate, your older age will be safer.
	       This is the concept of our society."

	       Combating prejudice

	       Mr Saini is a fierce campaigner against female
	       foeticide. He and his wife have two daughters.

	       But even they aborted their third child after
	       tests showed it was a girl.

	       All those years of prejudice against girls are
	       finally coming back to haunt this society.

	       There is such an
	       acute gender
	       imbalance here that
	       it is causing real
	       social problems.

	       Young men are coming of
	       marriageable age, only to discover
	       there is no-one left for them to
	       marry.

	       The young girls who would have been
	       their brides never had the chance to
	       be born.

	       The villages are full of frustrated
	       bachelors. In Haryana, a quarter of
	       the female population has simply
	       disappeared.

	       Many now see buying wives from
	       outside as their only option.

	       Foreign imports

	       "I couldn't find a local girl," said
	       Chandram, who purchased a wife last
	       year from Bangladesh. "So I had to
	       go outside to get married. But it
	       wasn't cheap."

	       His bride looked about 15. Now she is
	       thousands of miles from home.

	       They have just had their first child - a
	       baby girl. She looked sickly,
	       struggling to survive.

	       The ghosts of missing babies are
	       closing in.

	       If newly-weds continue with this
	       brutal practice of eliminating girls,
	       this whole region is on course for
	       catastrophe.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Prev: Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game] Next: [semi-ot] Japanese invent potential cam ;)