Prev: Re: [FT] Operational game Next: Re: [FT] Operational game

Re: [FT] Operational game

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:47:44 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Operational game

>Are you shooting for a strategic campaign, or a tactical operation?

"Operational level", between "strategic" and "tactical"

>A true FT operational game would probably encompass the battle for a
solar
system, or perhaps a cluster of solar systems.	A FT strategic game
would
encompass the battle between whole star nations.

Kind of depends on how many planets you have there--eg the Unofficial
GZGverse has a lot of "Three Star Empires".  FWIW, an analogy would be
the
Guadalcanal Campaign, or Hughes v Suffren in the Indian Ocean campaign.

>Assuming you want a true operational game, I would make each
operational
turn a day, or perhaps half a day.

That's a bit short for what I have in mind--I'd call that "grand
tactical",
I think.

>Remember, in an actual conflict sides are NEVER equal, so if you try to
generate "even" battles through a higher level game, you'll probably be
disappointed.

Well, yes and no.  If I have a 10K fleet on one side and 1K on the
other,
there's no point in setting up the table.  Thus, in order to have a more
interesting tactical battle, the question is "what factors would cause
an
admiral to be unable to apply his full strength to a battle?"  It could
be
as simple as having more ships than he can effectively control, but how
do
you implement that?  The battle need not be even odds, but I want to
have a
mechanism that makes larger fleets more unwieldy

http://mail2web.com/ .

Prev: Re: [FT] Operational game Next: Re: [FT] Operational game