Prev: Re: [FT] Operational game Next: RE: [FT] Operational game

Re: [FT] Operational game

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:43:46 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Operational game

Noam said:
>This could be dealt with coarse-grained by assigning "% available" for
a given fleet/force that is dependent on the distance from the nearest
secure supply station.

In a longer term campaign game, that's a possibility, but in an
ops-level
game, the attacker would try to arrange his maintenance cycles so he
could
surge everything for the op.  Therefore increased maintenance expense
(which takes place all the time) would be a better way to model it,
rather
than decreased availability

Noam said:
>Random assignment, or something you "pay to maintain or reap the
consequences"?

I'd be inclined just to charge for the number of routes.  If someone
really
wants to get into the commerce raiding aspect, then you might need to
specify ships.

Noam said:
>FTL mechanics limitations (pick one or more):
>- Fixed jump points make for defendable/assaultable bottlenecks.

That's pretty much a given

>- Jump emergence broadcasts an FTL signal that can be quickly locked on

and intercepted, _and_ Jump  sickness is debilitating on the scale of
many hours

Lengthy jump sickness kills merchant shipping--it vastly increases
shipping
expense.  And it increases the likelihood of piracy, IMHO.

http://mail2web.com/ .

Prev: Re: [FT] Operational game Next: RE: [FT] Operational game