Prev: Re: [FT] Operational game Next: Re: [FT] Operational game

Re: [FT] Operational game

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:41:22 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Operational game

>> Standard maintenance & logistics problems:
>
> applies to both sides--however, it might well cost *more* maintenance
> as you get deeper into formerly enemy territory.  Okay, that's a good
> one.

This could be dealt with coarse-grained by assigning "% available" for
a given fleet/force that is dependent on the distance from the nearest
secure supply station. Say a cruiser group is 80% available in "home
territory (so you'd need to assign 5 ships if you regularly want 4
available), 60% available just across the border of disputed space
(need 6 or 7 ships assigned to have 4 available), and 50% or below for
a deep, sustained incursion. % available would increase or decrease as
the status of the nearest planets changed (another mechanic to figure
out).

>> civil unrest, morale issues etc.
>
> "Your political leadership requires that the planet Voteria not be
> left undefended"--okay, that's another one.  Similar is the "defending
> convoys" that Edward mentioned.

Random assignment, or something you "pay to maintain or reap the
consequences"?

> The cost of FTL ships might be a lot higher than that of System
> Defense ships--that would also be a factor.

Can't be too lopsided, or there will be no way to mount an effective
attack. This balance point would be absolutely critical. Lots of people
will be looking for the "perfect distribution" and what we would want
is as large a spectrum as possible of equally viable options.

> Anything else?

FTL mechanics limitations (pick one or more):

- Fixed jump points make for defendable/assaultable bottlenecks.

- Fixed but randomly active jump points will cut off some systems from
some directions part of the time, requiring forces to maintain some
larger-than minimum presence on border territories. For example, Border
system A has 2 Jump Nexi - one heads into Empire 1, the other into the
outermost system of Empire 2. Jump Nexus passability is a random factor
in this system (every nexus has a different rule, some are regular as
pulsars, some entirely random with different average rates), and it is
not impossible for the Empire1 nexus to be closed for weeks at a time
while the Empire 2 nexus is open for a few of those days.

- Jump emergence broadcasts an FTL signal that can be quickly locked on
and intercepted, _and_ Jump  sickness is debilitating on the scale of
many hours - say 10% of a force is capable of fighting for every 2
hours - or each ship in a force has a 1% cumulative chance of
activation every turn after emergence. An intercepting force 2x the
size of an inbound attacker could still meet with even power since
they'd have fewer able ships after a given elapsed time, plus the
entire encounter would take both attacking and defending fleets out of
other equations for a few days.

In Ephemeral Garbanzo	 (the medium of Noam Raphael Izenberg's latest
temporary sculpture installation)

Prev: Re: [FT] Operational game Next: Re: [FT] Operational game