Prev: Re: [FT] Is this what main drives might be? Next: Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?

Re: DSII: Command Unit Question

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 03:33:01 PST
Subject: Re: DSII: Command Unit Question

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 01:22:16 -0500 Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
writes:
>At 9:44 PM -0800 1/23/03, John Atkinson wrote:
<snip>
>>You can pack infantry privates like sardines if all
>>you expect them to do is ride quietly until it's time
>>to get out and earn their paychecks.	You can't stuff
>>majors and captains in like that, along with a couple
>>cubic feet of computer, and then expect them to fight
>>a battalion!
>
>Granted, however, computers by that point ought to be bloody small. I
>have a work station at work that I could fit 6 people in with packs
>and all. I have more than enough room for the functions I do with
>much larger computers and lots of stowage of gear that I use for my
>job. Now, I envision that by 2183 a staff of 2-3 officers and one
>senior officer can fit into the space that 3 teams of men would fit
>into. The radios don't need to be huge, you don't need large boards
>and overlays to get the picture because the holo suite can be
>projected on your eye or in the air in front of you.
>
>Figure that basic AI's will get to the size of a pack of cigarettes
>by then. Com gear should be tiny. Most of this gear should be able to
>allow a small staff to coordinate most of the things that you need to
>get routed. All of the basic logistic's details would be handled by
>the AIs allowing the commanders to coordinate and decide what needs
>to be.

Isn't this more reason to have those 'useless' command vehicles?  Given
the above thread, imagine a size 4 vehicle with self-defense
(translation
- "OH MY GOD, WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?") weapons and  comm/command
gear/staff.  Workable even for John's view and effective from Ryan's
view.

Gracias,
Glenn

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Prev: Re: [FT] Is this what main drives might be? Next: Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?