Prev: [OT] Interesting Facts of Canadian Military Life Next: Re: [OT] Interesting Facts of Canadian Military Life

Re: [OT] Maps

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:45:47 PST
Subject: Re: [OT] Maps

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:10:12 -0500 "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@magma.ca>
writes:
<snip>
>[Tomb] And another thing - Our military
>orienteering gear is marked in mils. Most of
>the civ maps are not. Try mixing civilian
>maps and military compasses or vice versa.
>Not impossible, by any means, just
>annoying. And of course, fire support isn't
>too easy to call on the grid-less maps too.
>;)

Hypothetically two different grids (Say Army and Marine) could result in
friendly fire casualties if the grids are close but not the same.

Of course pilots in CAS missions are another ball of wax.

Pilots don't use 1:25K, 1:50K or even 1:100K TLM (Topographic Line Maps)
that the ground guys like but when planning missions they use TPC
(Tactical Pilotage Chart) at 1:500,000 or at best JOG (Joint Operations
Graphics) at 1:250,000 - oh did I mention that AIR JOGS are in feet and
miles and Ground JOGS are in Meters and KM's?  There WERE (past tense)
"Combined" graphics with mixed measurement units but nobody liked them
so
they were discontinued.  So much for the "joint" part...

Gracias,
Glenn

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Prev: [OT] Interesting Facts of Canadian Military Life Next: Re: [OT] Interesting Facts of Canadian Military Life