Prev: [OT] Awsome historical web sites, was Sevice Next: Re: [Service] Ranks and Designations

[Service] Ranks and Designations

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:26:31 -0500
Subject: [Service] Ranks and Designations

Not that anyone would notice (*grin*) but the
Canadian Forces (the Army Part) uses:

Private
Corporal
Master Corporal
Sergeant
Warrant Officer
Master Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

In the ossifer ranks, we use
(Officer Cadet - pre commision)
Second Lieutenant
First Lieutenant (and we still now how to
pronounce it)
Captain
Major
Lieutenant-Colonel
Colonel
Brigadier General
Major General
Lieutenant General
General

Of course, I find it interesting that you get
Lieutenant Generals in some armies, Colonel
General's, and a few other flavours and some
use Stars and others just have Brigadier without
referring to Brigadier General. Brass hats are
all the same pretty much though AFAICS. And of
course some nations address Warrant holders
as "Sir" and D.I.s as "Sir" whereas I was
explicitly told I'd get my ass kicked if I did so.
(and that's a cleaned up version of the actual
instruction).

FYI, the following are Canadian Appointments
(as opposed to ranks):
Canadian Forces Chief Warrant Officer
Command Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer of a higher formation
Base Chief Warrant Officer
Trumpet Major or Bugle Major
Drum Major
Pipe Major

Most of this and other interesting stuff about
the minute and underfunded CF can be found at
http://www.dnd.ca

Now, a question for John, who pointed out that
Mike's O-3E indicated he'd once done real work
(and I know the rest of that one too John
*grin*) - Is the E appended if the officer goes
CFR (direct commision from ranks) or only if he
goes to some sort of OCS/Academy? Just
curious.

Tomb Raider
Once-upon-a-time R031 Infanteer

Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: [OT] Awsome historical web sites, was Sevice Next: Re: [Service] Ranks and Designations