Prev: RE: [FT] Enabling "Defense" Scenarios: Eclipsing ships Next: [OT] Grunts

RE: [FT] Enabling "Defense" Scenarios: Eclipsing ships

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 13:44:30 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] Enabling "Defense" Scenarios: Eclipsing ships

From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@voicenet.com>

>I did something similar, but far more simply...I like simple.
>If an escort is assigned to a ship, write orders for the pair as though
they
>are a single vessel, and move them accordingly.

>Whenever the defended ship is the target of incoming fire, the escort
may
>attempt to interpose itself between the two and take the fire itself.

>In order to do so, the escort must roll less than or equal to its
current
thrust
>factor on 1d6 -- so if a ship has done a lot of maneuvering on a given
turn, it
>is going to have a more difficult time intercepting oncoming fire.

>An escort can protect against any number of attacks, but only from a
single

>attacker in any given turn.  Area effect weapons cannot be defended
against.

I have to say I like this (and laserlight's addition). It is much
simpler.
But should a thrust 6 FF be able to shield an SDN as effectively as a
cruiser?. And shouldn't a thrust 6 FF be able to _hide_ behind an SDN
much
better than behind an FF?.

Maybe it should be a die roll vs. unused thrust of both ships, penalised
or
aided by relative size.

Noam

Prev: RE: [FT] Enabling "Defense" Scenarios: Eclipsing ships Next: [OT] Grunts