Prev: Use of Elite SF Next: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 2

Re: [FAQ] FH what? Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communic ations

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 22:17:11 +0100
Subject: Re: [FAQ] FH what? Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communic ations

John Atkinson wrote:

> >and diplomatic slipperiness). To a superpower fighting for its
existence,
> >the NRE's action looks very much like openly siding with the ESU.
>
>Let me compare:
>
>In 1982, the US and USSR were engaged in a Cold War.
>A nominal US ally attacked the US's closest ally who
>is a member of a US-sponsored mutual defense
>organization.

Bad example. If Argentine had taken the Malvinas during a 3rd World War
between NATO and the WP, I very much doubt that the UK would have had
more
than token forces in the Falklands (ie., no more than they had at the
start
of the actual Falklands War) - which means that the Argie attack *would
not
have have affected the UK's ability to fight against the WP at all*. In
contrast, the NRE attack on the RH in 2173 seems (at least according to
NRE
propaganda) to have crushed the major part of the RH navy and knocked
the
Hegemony right out of the 3rd Solar War.

Instead of the Falklands War comparison, try this one:

The 3rd World War is raging between NATO and the WP. Suddenly, Greece
attacks Turkey in the rear, causing the Turkish war effort to collapse
and
releasing most of the WP forces defending the Caucasus for use against
western Europe. How would the US deal with this Greek betrayal? Would
they
just smile and continue their cordial relations with the Greeks, would
they
impose economic sanctions on Greeks and treat them with extreme
suspicion
after the war had ended, or would they take some more affirmative action

against Greece to stop their schemes?

> >The next NRE attack on the RH comes in 2173 - right after the Sumani
IV
> >incident has caused the 3rd Solar War to heat up again. The timeline
> >doesn't mention the RH much after this year - they seem to have been
> >knocked out *of the 3rd Solar War* by someone... and according to
your
> >timeline, the NRE delivered a devastating knock-out blow to the RH in
this

>Still fighting in 2183 when they finally loose Titshihar to ESU.  Which

>indicates that it's not a
>high priority theater if it takes decades to take one lousy planet.

It either indicates that it is not a high priority theater *to the ESU*
(not surprising if the main purpose with the operation was to draw the
RH
navy into a decisive battle - which wouldn't be necessary after 2173),
or
that it takes them this long to defeat the local defence force - which
wouldn't be too surprising if the latter has reverted to a
guerilla-style
campaign. Note that there is no mention of the RH making any attempt to
reinforce the Tsitsihar defence forces or driving the ESU naval forces
away
during these fifteen years.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Use of Elite SF Next: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 2