Prev: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 2 Next: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 2

Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 2

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 05:55:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 2

--- Tim Bancroft <tim@dragonshome.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:
> John/Oerjan - It's worth bearing in mind that I
> think I've thrown a
> non-standard spanner here due to the size of ships
> in the forces I use:
> whilst I have larger, the largest I tend to use is a
> CH, possible a BC (I
> just like small-ship squabbles - C18 as well as SF).
>  This enhances the
> effect of the points disparity Oerjan has already
> confirmed between the
> low-end K-guns and the Beams, especially in vector
> where it looks that the
> MD-A is overcosted.

Cool--not many people focus on this end.

If we assume that KV drives are overcosted by 1 pt per
mass (dropping them to the same price as Human drives)
this drops the price of the Thrust-6 KV by 7.5%.  Is
that enough to cover the disparity?  I doubt it.  In a
1000 pt game, that's a 75 point discount, enough to
buy a Ka'Tak class corvette at it's new point cost of
73.  Is that enough to make a dif?  I'm guessing the
answer would likely be no, but you've got more
experience with that scale game.

I'd also tend to say (no fancy math here, just gut
feeling) that the point where K-guns become well worth
the investment is K4, where you get the double damage
more often than not.

John

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 2 Next: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 2