Prev: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 1 Next: RE: [FAQ] FH what? Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications

Re: Small Alien Empires (and more)

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 19:35:04 +0100
Subject: Re: Small Alien Empires (and more)

Tim Bancroft wrote:

 >Cheers, guys.  What happens to the xeno-analysts when they get it
wrong?
 >;-)

Depends on whether or not the grunts who suffered because of his
mistakes
can lay their hands on him...

 >I hope the briefing does not contradict any of the "official" KV
outupt
 >in the Tuffleyverse: do say where you think it directly does so.

Don't think there are any direct contradictions (well, OK, my 15mm KV
infantry minis seem to have three fingers and an opposable thumb, so the

"base three" theory contrasted against our "base five/base ten" system
might be iffy - but those models are so small so I can't say for
certain)... it's just that most of the briefing is conjecture based on
very
limited observations, and the questions you aske could very easily be
answered by completely different theories. Heck, different theories
could
be true for different KV clans, just like no social model is capable of
describing every human culture <g>

Note that the Rot Hafen saga was written before FB2 was published, so
don't
take all it says for "canon truth". (This is most appearent in the space

combat descriptions, where eg. the KV scatterguns are extremely potent
against spaceships - following the More Thrust scattergun rule, but
contradicting the FB2 scattergun rule.)

 >>FTL torpedo rules clarifications
 >
 >Thanks for the comments, Oerjan, they show where I have to clarify
 >things.  These are "pressed" peace kit, so should avoid weaopns
systems
 >like the PBL and the FTL bombs mentioned in the archives: any damage
is
 >purely incidental from the FTL effect (however that is implemented).

Whether or not the damage is "incidental" or "intentional", the actual
*effect* is similar to the effects of previously published weapon
systems...

 >They are launched with other missiles.  As per rules entering FTL is
at
 >the end of the move phase (minus warm-up turn).  FTL dropout is at the
 >start of the *next* turn, immediately after order writing and before
 >Initiative.

Considering that the FT PSB descriptions of FTL travel describes it as
"taking no measurable time in real-space", I must say that having to
wait
almost an entire turn for the outgoing missiles to arrive feels a bit
strange <g> But then again the FT2 FTL rules aren't entirely consistent
with themselves either :-/

For ease of play, I'd suggest that these FTL missiles drop out *before*
order writing - the
enemy ships can't dodge it anyway and the effect is instantaneous upon
arrival so it doesn't matter if ships move into the danger zone after
the
missile has already arrived, and arriving after the orders have been
written means that the target ships risk suffering engine damage which
invalidates their written orders. Resolving the missile drop-out before
orders are written save you from having to re-do the orders of any ships

which suffer engine damage (and from having to do orders for any ship
which
is destroyed by the missiles, too).

(The reason why ships appear from FTL *after* order writing is to
prevent
the enemy from pre-positioning his ships to welcome the new arrivals and

hit them before they can open fire, but that doesn't really apply to the

FTL missile since it "opens fire" simply by arriving and "dies" anyway
after completing its jump.)

 >Having tried it I don't like the super-secret entry point
 >(sensors seems to detect some form of FTL dropout from what I've
read).

Some SF backgrounds mention this, but others don't and the published FT
rules specifically deny it. However, secretly recording coordinates and
then having to measure them exactly when the missile pops out is a
serious
pain game-wise :-/

 >This delay makes accuracy a bit of a problem.

It makes it essentially the same as the accuracy problems with plasma
bolts
or (human) missiles. (Having to roll 2+ on a D6 is an accuracy problem
of
sorts, but it is considerably better than having to survive the target's

point defences the way plasma bolts or (human) missiles do.)

 >The chance of "friendly fire" damage is also present as ships will
have to
 >bypass the known entry point!

Should be a pretty minor problem, unless you both launch the FTL
missiles
straight into your own path and move too slowly to get out of the danger

zone (and/or forget to change your course to compensate). With thrust
ratings of 6A or better, the Tjyy'Tidd shouldn't have any problems at
all
to avoid their own departing missiles.

Later,

Oerjan