Prev: Re: Small Alien Empires (and more) Next: Re: [Modelling] Information Request: Paint Removal

Re: [Modelling] Information Request: Paint Removal

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:06:17 -0500
Subject: Re: [Modelling] Information Request: Paint Removal

>claims that brake fluid is definitely the way to go,
>even though I'm shocked that what I assume is a petroleum product
doesn't
>eat right through the plastic.

Brake fluid is glycol-based (or silicone-based if you get DOT5, but
that's
unlikely), and the fluid reservoir on some cars is plastic
(polyethylene, I
think), so it doesn't eat *all* platics.  I know I've heard of it being
used to clean plastic minis with no ill effects--but I don't know what
kind
of plastics those were, and TomB doesn't know what kind his are either
("resin" is only slightly more descriptive than "plastic"), and I've
never
seen the kind of figures he's talking about (in fact, I'm not certain
I've
ever seen any GW figure except in photos) so that doesn't help.
  If someone (David? Germy?) has a guess as to what the resin is, I
could
look up what effect glycol should have--but the best test is to dunk a
sprue and see what happens.
  BTW, one thing brake fluid *does* eat is....brake pads.

http://mail2web.com/ .

Prev: Re: Small Alien Empires (and more) Next: Re: [Modelling] Information Request: Paint Removal