Prev: Re: [Modelling] Information Request: Paint Removal Next: Re: [Modelling] Information Request: Paint Removal

Re: Small Alien Empires (and more)

From: Tim Bancroft <tim@d...>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:48:56 +0000
Subject: Re: Small Alien Empires (and more)

Thanks for your comments, peeps.  I've broken out the (unexpected) K-gun
vs Beam points e-mail.

>Missing P4 2-arc and PSL as "special"
I must have missed the P4 on the Kamarov.  The "non-standard" was merely
a label for that column.  I'll rephrase, load and put it up.

> >Interesting briefing on the Kra'Vak.
Glad you liked it.

>whether or not it has any connection to the *real* GZGverse situation
>is another question entirely, of course ;-)
>><laserlight> it could be an exact description [...]if you consider
>> it as a description of what one NAC analyst thinks.
>>> <Oerjan>I meant it more as in "the way the GZGverse Kra'Vak
>>> actually behave"
Cheers, guys.  What happens to the xeno-analysts when they get it wrong?
;-)

I hope the briefing does not contradict any of the "official" KV outupt
in the Tuffleyverse: do say where you think it directly does so.  It is
supposed to be a step up to try and build some motivation into the KV,
and answer questions such as:
- We do know that KV change from male to female then neuter as part of
"maturing".  It is unclear as to whether this is a voluntary, a
dominance-triggered trait (silverbacks) and therefore partly
psychological or involuntary.  Is gender and the associated sex drive a
problem in senior KV so they *choose* to stay neuter?  Perhaps the more
decadent tempt themselves (Los Laurenco & Rot Hafen)...
- Finding more about this hostile alien race would be top of the agenda
on any admiral/Star-Marshal's book and the prisoners would be treated to
survive, at least, but KV still die in human hands: why?
- Given their natural xenophobia could a Hu'Man "clan" ally successfully
with them?  How would they treat subject races?

>FTL torpedo rules clarifications
Thanks for the comments, Oerjan, they show where I have to clarify
things.  These are "pressed" peace kit, so should avoid weaopns systems
like the PBL and the FTL bombs mentioned in the archives: any damage is
purely incidental from the FTL effect (however that is implemented).

They are launched with other missiles.	As per rules entering FTL is at
the end of the move phase (minus warm-up turn).  FTL dropout is at the
start of the *next* turn, immediately after order writing and before
Initiative.  Having tried it I don't like the super-secret entry point
(sensors seemss to detect some form of FTL dropout from what I've read).

This delay makes accuracy a bit of a problem.  The chance of "friendly
fire" damage is also present as ships will have to bypass the known
entry point!

As you asked, I've clarified things a bit and added in the "extremely
working" points costs.	But they are working.... I'm prototyping some
ship designs to see if one of the manufacturers will mould them for me.

-----
btw The website is being moved due to ISP problems - if you go through
http://www.dragonshome.net/ it should redirect to the most up-to-date
site.  The updates mentioned will be done by Wednesday 4th Dec.
--
Tim Bancroft

Prev: Re: [Modelling] Information Request: Paint Removal Next: Re: [Modelling] Information Request: Paint Removal