Prev: RE: [SG] Scenario: The Cave, Part 1 Next: Re: Veering [OT] Fundamentalists in general, was RE: [FH] ecofundamentalists was RE: [FH] World maps

Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1402

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:20:02 -0500
Subject: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1402

> About the discussion on Sea-level rises and global warming and
Beth's
> maps....  I've assumed most of us have read Fallen Angels: despite
the
> tongue-in-cheek nature it's view of SF fandom and Political
Correctness,
> the mini- Ice Age scenario may well be quite valid.  Scotland under
Ice?
> More glaciers in Switzerland?  What happens to Canada and the US,
not to
> mention the southern tip of Argentina and SA?
>
> Has anyone any data?

There was a reference posted on www.jerrypournelle.com a few weeks ago
which said, IIRC, that the Gulf Stream may be close to shutting down
due to global warming, and as a result the northeastern US and Canada
might get 5 degrees (F? C? don't recall) colder and northwestern
Europe 10 degrees.  It was from an oceanographic study, IIRC