Prev: Re: Mixed combat units Next: Re: [SG] Smoke

Re: Mixed combat units

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:43:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Mixed combat units

At 4:00 PM -0500 10/28/02, laserlight@quixnet.net wrote:

>I don't see the hardliners likely to have the ability operate and
maintain
>starships.  Even somewhat more open regimes (eg Saudi) have a large
number
>of Western contractors to keep things running.  If the IF is going to
be
>independent, I think it's going to have to be more like Egypt. The
canon
>history specifies that in 2163, Islamic fundamentalists seize power in
New
>Riyadh; however, "fundamentalist" does not inherently mean "ignorant
hick"
>and it could very well be that the resurgeance of the IF is partly due
>better education and work ethic than the previous government.

I have to wonder though if "religious fundamentalists" are going to
have the same kind of trouble that "political fundamentalists" (read
as Soviet Union) had with operations and scientific development.
Specifically with regards to the oppression of the individual to such
a large extent where those that are truely gifted will fall afoul of
church or political police whereby in a more liberal society they'd
flourish. Granted the Soviets had some great strides, but they also
lacked some of the flair that western developments had due to the
suppression on the individual in the name of the State.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: Mixed combat units Next: Re: [SG] Smoke