Prev: Re: [SG2] [WW2] Quad .50 half-track Next: Re: (FT,SG)Commercial break.....

RE: [SG2] [WW2] Quad .50 half-track

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:01:28 -0400
Subject: RE: [SG2] [WW2] Quad .50 half-track

At 9:53 AM -0600 10/22/02, B Lin wrote:
>FYI: The half track model is the M16 which is armed with a Maxson
>mount in the rear.  IIRC the problem with the Maxson mount was that
>it ran out of ammo quickly.  Each gun was fed from a 110 round
>magazine.  At 500 rpm you got about 10 seconds of fire.  If you
>could kill all the infantry within 10 seconds, you were ok, but I
>would guess it takes quite some time to reload all four guns, even
>with two loaders, in which case a couple of rifle-grenades or a
>panzerfaust could ruin your day.

Sure, if you fired non stop. But then so would the single mounted
50's With two guys to run belts into the guns you can keep them
running quite a bit with only minor waits. Also, those larger ammo
cans are 200 round cans. Thats 25 seconds of constant fire.

These turrets were also used on Guntrucks in RVN by transportation
units. There were several versions with either 3-4 pintle mounted
.50s or with a pintle .50 and a maxon turret in the back of a 2.5 ton
truck. I should think that the quad and twin 50 mounts provided
enough fire time for the weapon to be useful in bursts at targets for
the firepower to be more than marginally effective like you seem to
indicate.

http://www.eustis.army.mil/dptmsec/MUSEUM/gun_truck_crews1.htm

http://www.landscaper.net/theguns.htm#Gun%20Trucks%20-%20Quad%2050's%20a
nd%20Mini-guns

The Twin 40mm's were also useful for ground support missions.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: [SG2] [WW2] Quad .50 half-track Next: Re: (FT,SG)Commercial break.....