Prev: Re: [OT] Ex-colonies was: Liberals Next: Re: [OT] Liberals was: Personal hoody-hoo

Re: [OT] Ex-colonies was: Liberals

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:55:40 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Ex-colonies was: Liberals

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Ryan Gill wrote:

> The colonial-ism mode of the 16th and 17th centuries changed to that
> of the 20th century where at least in the case of the British, the
> government actively did what it could to do better for the people in
> its power. The chap I specifically spoke with stated that he felt
> Malaysia was better for having been a colony of the British. Far
> better than say of the French, Dutch or Belgians. The British left a
> lasting legacy of technology, education and infrastructure that
> allowed the country to jump off from that point and continue.

To my surprise, I heard similar statements from indonesians - that they
were not bitter about the past; that the colonial time udner dutch rule
brought them a lot of good things. But that they were also glad that
they were now independent.

How that compares to other colonial powers is a different matter; I
wouldn't have a clue in that respect.

Cheers,

   Derk

Prev: Re: [OT] Ex-colonies was: Liberals Next: Re: [OT] Liberals was: Personal hoody-hoo