Prev: Re: Alternative Threshold Arrays. Next: Re: [OT] Ex-colonies was: Liberals

Re: [OT] Ex-colonies was: Liberals

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:48:58 +0200
Subject: Re: [OT] Ex-colonies was: Liberals

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don M" <dmaddox1@hot.rr.com>
> Don, the Hindus and Muslims weren't attacking each other with
> Churchill tanks. They were using swords, sticks and what rare
> firearms were at hand. The riots were large enough to be massively
> deadly based on sheer numbers.

I guess this is partly a matter of looking at an half-empty/half-full
glass.
In my opinion, India is a (qualified) success story. In spite of its
ethnic
and religious diversity and the occasional flare-up of violence
(Kashmir,
Sikhs, Hindus/Muslims etc,), it has held together, is still a democracy
and
even has made economic progress. And many of the minor conflicts are
being
dealt with by political, not military means,

>  Zimbabwe has slowly slid into a clusterfuck despite British good
> intentions.
>
> Well it hasn't worked since they had the name change.

I think 'slowly slid' is more accurate. After the fall of the white
government, it started well enough with a democratic constitution, a
strong
parliamentary opposition, a working economy and a stab at balanced race
relations.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: Alternative Threshold Arrays. Next: Re: [OT] Ex-colonies was: Liberals