Prev: Re: Space Lanes? (was Re: [OT] Sea Lanes was: Liberals ) Next: Re: Uh...yeah, it's there...

RE: Patchy flocking ?

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:09:20 -0600
Subject: RE: Patchy flocking ?

For multiple types pretty much use the technique outlined in the web
page - each type of terrain is applied seperately, the "lower" bits such
as sand or dirt go down first, then grass or flocking, then rocks or
static grass.  Using less diluted glue you can make more distinct areas
without it running as much and getting into other areas.

Another technique that I have used is mixing two types of ground cover
at the same time.  I used some dirt (out of the backyard, sifted to get
the pebbles and sticks out) mixed with green flock.  I stick this in a
shallow pan then shake lightly. The dirt sifts to the bottom and the
flock "floats" to the top.  I aim for a total thickness a little less
than my base thickness.  I then apply glue to the base, then place the
base at the bottom of the pan and slide it along into the dirt/flock
mixture.  The dirt, starting on the bottom will tend to stick first, but
any spots it doesn't get get a clump of flocking.  I usually tap down
the coating with my fingers to make sure the flocking is well attached
since they get less glue than the standard gluing method.

This also works with two different grades of flocking (i.e. a browinish
fine grade and green coarse grade).

--Binhan