Prev: Re: GPS Next: Re: DSII Designer questions

Re: GPS

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 07:09:40 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: GPS

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, John Hamill wrote:

> > In all cases the US is amongst the list.
>
> On the list but, with the exception of pre-Ayatollah
> Iran, not even near the top of the list. It annoys and
> amuses me that post WWII Europe plays this game of
> running around the world, buying and selling with
> various shady types, then pointing fingers at either
> the US or Russia when things go bad, like they never
> had anything to do with it.

Um. I never claimed europe was innocent. But claiming 'giving weapons to
people who shouldn't have them' is a traditional european thing is jsut
rather hypocritical as america has at least as much of a history of
doing
so.

In fact, for currwent military exports most european companies stick
pretty much to the US 'allowed export' guidelines. Before even going
into
ethical issues there is a very practical reason for this. In the current
world economy, there are international parts in any product; including
american parts. And supplying things to black-listed countries is a very
quick way to make sure you don't get the parts you need, anymore.

Anyway, 'nuff said.

Cheers,

    Derk

Prev: Re: GPS Next: Re: DSII Designer questions