Prev: Re: [OT] Why not "Royal Army" (was Afghan Pics) Next: Population Models I'd like to See

Re: [OT] Why not "Royal Army" (was Afghan Pics)

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 10:02:17 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] Why not "Royal Army" (was Afghan Pics)

On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 12:04:12 +0000, "Donogh McCarthy"
<donoghmc@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I thought the "modern" British army was founded following the
Restoration
>(1660)

Wasn't it Marlborough that first formed a standing army in Britain? I'm
little rough on this, as it's been 10 years since I looked at it (I was
doing
some research to find out why British regiments had red uniforms until
the end
of the 19th century).

>Perhaps following the Civil Wars the regular standing army was still
not
>considered appropriate to be HM's Army??

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that there can be more than
one
army in existance. There can be several fleets, but one navy. There are
several air force squadrons, wings, etc. but only one air force. There
can be,
however, more than one army.

I'll have to ask my history expert friend for her opinion on this.

http://www.hyperbear.com

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Re: [OT] Why not "Royal Army" (was Afghan Pics) Next: Population Models I'd like to See