Prev: Re: [OT] Why not "Royal Army" (was Afghan Pics) Next: Re: [OT] Why not "Royal Army" (was Afghan Pics)

Re: [OT] Why not "Royal Army" (was Afghan Pics)

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:08:38 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Why not "Royal Army" (was Afghan Pics)

On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 12:04:12 +0000 Donogh McCarthy
<donoghmc@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> (Minor historical question: why isn't the Brit Army the "Royal
Army" when the UK's Navy, Artillery and even Air Force are all
"Royal"?) <<<

>> Because the Army was founded by a man who wasn't Royal. That'd be
Oliver Cromwell. (that's how I understand it) <<

> I thought the "modern" British army was founded following the
Restoration (1660) All of the supporting corps and a lot of the
regiments are "Royal..."

> Perhaps following the Civil Wars the regular standing army was still
not considered appropriate to be HM's Army?? <

I rather think the original poster (whose name got lost -- sorry)
answered his own question by mentioning the RA -- which, unless
something odd has happened lately, is part of the Army. <g>

It's a matter of organisation and history. The Navy and Air Force have
always been organised as a single service, which as a concept is a
relatively late development -- 16/17th century or thereabouts. Armies,
OTOH, have generally been _raised_ piecemeal; that is, in small units
which then come together to form The Army. I suppose it goes back to
feudal times, when a monarch (or duke or whatever) would call for
troops from his nobles, who'd go to their subordinates (barons,
knights, etc.), who'd call out their people; any particular leader
didn't have that much of a force at his beck and call, but put all
these small units together and you had a sizeable force.

Each of these units, be it infantry, cavalry, artillery or whatever,
was under the command of a specific leader, who "owned" it, raised it,
paid it (in some cases), paid _for_ it in later times, and had the
responsibility for it -- and it was often his decision as to what side
it fought on (e.g., the Stanleys at Bosworth Field). So there were
units with names like "Sir Thomas Hutton's Regiment of Foot." The
organisation of the Army was, if you like, from the bottom up rather
than from the top down.

This persisted into at least Napoleonic times, and maybe even to WW1,
and inertia, coupled with history and justifiable pride by the men in
a unit of that history, meant that the titles, royal accolades, etc.
were always given to units rather than to the Army as a whole. The
closest thing the Army has to the RN/RAF overall title is what was
adopted for the newer combat arms -- so Royal Artillery as a whole
rather than something along the lines of the Duke of York's Own Heavy
Battery; Royal Armoured Regiment, even though this now incorporates
many much older cavalry units; Royal Flying Corps; REME, etc.

Phil
----
"Sic Transit Gloria Barramundi"
   (Or, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!)
   -- not Douglas Adams, but me: Phil Atcliffe
			(Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk)

Prev: Re: [OT] Why not "Royal Army" (was Afghan Pics) Next: Re: [OT] Why not "Royal Army" (was Afghan Pics)