Prev: Re: Submarines was Re: Maisto Vehicles are Back at Wal-Mart! Next: Re: GPS

RE: Thinking out loud. . .

From: "CS Renegade" <njg@c...>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 21:22:50 +0100
Subject: RE: Thinking out loud. . .

From: ~ On Behalf Of John Atkinson
Sent: 03 September 2002 04:22
Subject: Thinking out loud. . .

> Anyone got any good population estimates for the major
> powers?

John, you've got a free hand to paint whatever you want
(and I'm trying to think of a reasonable top end for that)
because there simply isn't enough hard information on
which to base a proper estimate.

The timeline entry for 2135 states that the NAC capital
moves to Albion "which now has a population almost as
large as England thanks to massive immigration and
engineered population growth programmes".

Beth, I've no more evidence than that, but my gut
reaction is that your figures for off-world populations
are too low. If the powers have got themselves into a
"population race" and started fooling around with birth
labs then you want to consider maximums rather than
growth rates.

Extrapolations from current populations are all well
and good, but have you factored in all the other bumps
in the history? We don't know how destructive the Wars
of the Americas were, or what loss of civilian life
was entailed by the breakup of the EC.

Nathan "build a granary and discover sanitation" Girdler

Prev: Re: Submarines was Re: Maisto Vehicles are Back at Wal-Mart! Next: Re: GPS