Prev: Re: [FT] Fighter sequence, was Re: Warfair Next: Re: Soviet tanks and missiles....

Re: Berms

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 20:04:44 +0200
Subject: Re: Berms

John Atkinson wrote:

> >The 73mm HEAT - the original RPG-7/SPG-9 round, and
> > also the one fired by
> > the low-pressure gun of a BMP-1 so it's not just
> > RCLR - is impact-fused, so
> > simply hitting the berm detonates it. I suspect that
>
>All HEAT rounds (AFAIK) are impact fuzed.

True. What I meant to say was that the 73mm only has an *immediate*
impact
fuse - ie., doesn't have any *delayed* impact setting which would allow
it
to penetrate some way  into the berm, and even through thin brick
walls/concrete slabs, before exploding.

(For some reason I can only recall the Swedish terms for the fuse types
and
have to make do with roughly translating them into English >:-( )

Other types of shaped-charge rounds do have this kind of delayed impact
fuse, though they're usually called "bunker busters" or "HEDP" or
something
similar rather than "HEAT". Still, some (IIRC most!) of these rounds
have
better armour penetration than the old 73mm :-)

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FT] Fighter sequence, was Re: Warfair Next: Re: Soviet tanks and missiles....