Prev: Re: Card initiative Next: Berms

Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 07:25:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

--- "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@sprintmail.com> wrote:
> > FM 5-103, P 4-13
> >
> > "If the expected enemy uses kinetic energy direct
> fire
> > projectiles or hypervelocity projectiles, it is
> > impossible to construct parapets thick enough for
> > protection.  To protect against these projectiles,
> > deep-cut, hull defilade, or turret defilade
> positions
> > are prepared."
>
> That's garbage.  Build a parapet with a top of a
> minimum 10 feet.  Compact
> the material.  Then pound 1" or larger diameter
> rebar into the front of the
> top of the parapet every 2".	Any incoming APFSDS
> that goes all the way
> through the parapet will hit the rebar.  That will
> both slightly
> horizontally deflect and massively deform the
> incoming round.  The round
> will then loose most of its energy travelling
> through the rest of the
> parapet.

Do you have any earthly idea how long that would
take??

I mean, have you ever operated US Army earth-moving
vehicles?  I've been an ACE crewman and I can assure
you that with the resources of an Armored division and
even a week's time, there is no way in hell you could
construct enough of those things to shelter even a
batallion's worth of armor.

No, the way to create fighting positions for armor is
digging holes, not creating parapets.

John

Prev: Re: Card initiative Next: Berms