Prev: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts Next: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

From: David Brewer <davidbrewer@b...>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:42:05 +0100
Subject: Re: [SG2] Cover Penetration Question for all you Armour Experts

"Johan Böjeryd" wrote:

> Oo, I love it when we get credit for something. :)
> They were just a single row of steel rods designed to
> work like the chains hanging from the Merkavas turret.
> (At least the ones I've seen, there might have been
> other variants) We also used jerry cans filled with
> diesel fuel on racks all over the sides... (for HEAT
> round dispersion) My officers told me it would work
> since diesel ignites badly, but I still sceptical
> since a HEAT round, like the name implies, is very
> hot. :)

The jerry cans would have worked as advertised, in just the same
way as the Merkava chains or the screens of chicken wire put on
some vehicles or fortifications. Some tanks use the space in their
spaced armour as fuel tanks (Merkava again, so I've read).
According to what I've read on sci.military.moderated this chain
of thought (spaced armour good, spaced-armour-with-fuel better)
leads to the composite armours in use today.

I'm sceptical about pushing earth up around a tank, whatever it's
reinforced with. Once you've pushed that much earth around you
might as well have scooped out a big hole and put the tank in it.

--
David Brewer

"The mentally disturbed do not employ the Theory of Scientific
Parsimony: the most simple theory to explain a given set of