Prev: Re: Card initiative Next: Re: [SG] Luring players

Re: Card initiative (Gauss rifles)

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:50:37 +0200
Subject: Re: Card initiative (Gauss rifles)

TomB wrote:

>PS - OO: I'm not sure I buy your comment that
>the ONLY thing preventing us from making a
>workable Gauss rifle is a powerpack.

What I mean with this is that working Gauss rifle prototypes already
exist
(just like assault rifles using caseless ammo already exist), and unlike

the caseless ammo rifles the "only" serious problem remaining with the
Gauss prototypes was their power supply.

If you're worried about EM radiation causing brain cancer, then you
really
shouldn't use those fancy helmet-mounted headsets and visor-mounted HUDs

:-) (Of course that'll leave you wide open to enemy laser dazzlers, and
you
can't use the tac-data net without taking a break from the fighting, but

that's life <g>)

FWIW, the cancer-risk-from-cell-phones figures I've seen said that the
old
cell phones gave a ~80% increase of the risk of getting brain cancer,
meaning that the former very low brain cancer rate has increased by a
factor 1.8 - which is something very different from what you wrote,
namely
a *total* risk of 80% (meaning that if you use an old cell phone you
have
an 80% chance of getting brain cancer sooner or later). If you have a
source which actually says the latter, I'd be quite interested in
reading
it :-)

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: Card initiative Next: Re: [SG] Luring players