Prev: Re: [OT] Fantasy rules Next: Re: [OT] Fantasy rules

Re: [FT] Matter Transmitter - PSB

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:49:04 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Matter Transmitter - PSB

In message <3D59DEAA.9090708@ameritech.net>
	  Scott Siebold <gamers@ameritech.net> wrote:

> I guess I will play spoiler and go back to when Startrek was somewhat
> new and I was a physics major at collage.
>
> First the "transporter" converted matter to energy and then
transported
> it a given distance and then reassembled it. Another name for this
> conversion
> of matter to energy is TC (Total Conversion) which will give energy
yields
> in the order of antimatter (matter + antimatter = TC).
>
> The average H-bomb converts about 1/1000 of the matter to energy
> (deutronium -> helium + energy). I suppose I could figure out how much
> deutronium is present to start with but let's face it I'm older and it
is
> not  really important. So your average crewman who is transported
> will have a potential bang equal to 1000 to 10,000+  times
> greater then your average H-bomb of today ( lets say stratigic weapons
> of around 5 megaton). In other words if you goof with a transporter
> you have just created a continent / world destroying bang.
>
> On the other hand a transporter that links two points in space is
> OK by me. I would suggest that unless there is a transmitter and
> receiver  that the transport point wanders  so that your landing force
> is scattered. The scatter is dependent on how far the transmitter
> is from the point to transport to with someone able to fly the point
> (sort of) so you don't step out 1,000 feet up or under.
>
> Scott Siebold

Well, I didn't go into PSB deliberately - you choose your own to fit
your background :-)

For a Tuffleyverse Matter Transmitter PSB, Maybe its a very short range
version of a Jump drive - where the generator for the 'jump field' is
_external_ to the objects being transported.
There are implications to this - see the notes on FTL travel in the back
of FB1 for the physiological (and other) effects of an FTL jump :-)
Although, it might be considered a prerequisite of Matter Transporter
tech to have some means of overcoming these problems.

Another option is the 'Quantum Entanglement' PSB - IMHO this implies a
'two terminus matter transmitter' (i.e. one requiring both a transmitter
_and_ a receiver).

Or a short-duration, short-range wormhole.

Or... (etc.)

I joke I have with Adam is that one of the controls on the Star Trek
Transporters is a 'mode select' which determine which PSB is used (and
hence, which weird side-effects are possible :-).

Charles

Prev: Re: [OT] Fantasy rules Next: Re: [OT] Fantasy rules