Prev: TO&E question Next: Re: Speaking of. . .

Re: Scouts

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:54:54 -0400
Subject: Re: Scouts

> [Tomb] Pardon? Ever seen standard SG2 TO&Es? I seem to see one [GMS]
in
> just about every squad.

Nah, just every platoon.

>  And they have to get through
> your ECM. With a size one and really good ECM,

...and staying behind cover...

> a scout vehicle is  going to be a tough target.

> [Tomb] In a heavy force, I'd hope my scouts are significantly faster
> and lighter. I know they'll be able to call on big brother (tanks)
> and artillery assets. I don't want to turn them into tankers. That
> kind of mentality leads to dead people - just like AIFVs thinking
> that slugging matches with tanks are a winning proposition.

That IS a winning proposition.	For the tanks.

> [Tomb] I think the GZGverse argues for light forces, smaller in
> number, and if you're gonna spend to ship troops across space,
you're
> sending good quality troops and gear because transport costs make
> sending poor troops or crappy gear insane.

If transport were all *that* expensive, you wouldn't have all these
populated planets to begin with. You'd have a few, highly balkanized
places close to Earth.	I don't think it's transport cost, I think
it's response time.  If you need a widget, you can't FedEx it in, you
have to send a message by ship for a few weeks, then wait a few more
weeks to get it back.  That encourages lower tech units that with gear

Prev: TO&E question Next: Re: Speaking of. . .