Prev: Re: [OT] GenCon (was Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?) Next: "Grunt" Slang for Tankers?

RE: Scouts out. . . NAC style

From: "CS Renegade" <njg@c...>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 20:53:10 +0100
Subject: RE: Scouts out. . . NAC style

From: ~ On Behalf Of John Atkinson
Sent: 08 August 2002 00:57
Subject: Scouts out. . . NAC style

> I've been considering writing up a NAC mechanized
> batallion... Most things are pretty simple. ...every
> precursor service (CF, USA, British Army) has 3 rifle
> companies of 3 platoons.  Everyone has a mortar
> platoon, everyone has a batallion staff, everyone has
> weapons assets..

> The Scouts are driving me nuts, though.  Everyone
> pretty much agrees a mechanized batallion needs a
> scout platoon.  No one agrees on what capabilities
> or organization it should have.

> Brits have some light tanks (6??  I don't recall).

>From TTG's "Ultra Modern Army Lists & Organisations
Volume 1" (1985 so based on defence materials published
early '80s:)

Commando, Mechanised, Motorised... all infantry
formations are listed as you describe.

Both Armoured Recconaissance and Light Recce
(Territorials) are listed as using four of four,
the armour getting four Scorpions to a platoon while
the TA have Fox instead. If you look up Scorpion for
an exact comparision, bear in mind that we kept the
older 76mm model and only sold the 90mm overseas.

The Armoured Regiment formation also uses four of
four, so I expect it's a cavalry thing.

All of the above could be badly out of date; all
contradictions and corrections welcome from the
list.

Nathan "GHQ? It's staying matt black anyway" Girdler

Prev: Re: [OT] GenCon (was Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?) Next: "Grunt" Slang for Tankers?