Prev: [OT] GenCon (was Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?) Next: Re: Allan's comments on GenCon

Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 09:22:58 -0500
Subject: Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:29:36 +0100, "Mike Elliott"
<Mike.Elliott@steria.co.uk>
wrote:

>Again, I would have thought most historical wargamer's would not have
any
>difficulty taking a set of rules like DS2 and modifying them to suit
WWII,
>as often these people know far more about the period than those who
don't
>normally play it. Besides creating vehicles is half the fun!

Sure, but folks are lazy. Why pick up a sci-fi game and then still have
to do
some work to make it playable as a historical game when you can buy a
historical game that's got the work done for you? Then you can set about
dissecting the rules and writing your own version of it to suit the
historical
minutae that you've read about. *grin*

The biggest obstacle, though, is the stigma that sci-fi games have with
historical players. I know that SG2 and DS2 can be adapted for
historical use,
but it doesn't say so on the cover. If you're a historical player you
are not
going to buy DS2 for Russian Front games unless someone convinces you
that it
can be used for WW2/Modern games.

As for Jon not doing any historical games, I think the playtest group is
doing
a good job keeping Jon "realistic" enough with FMAS that it will be
usable as
a historical game (as well as its specialty: sci-fi and fantasy)...

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"
 - from the Random H.P. Lovecraft Story Generator:
http://www.darkicon.com/Library/randsent.htm

Prev: [OT] GenCon (was Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?) Next: Re: Allan's comments on GenCon