Prev: Re: Scouts out. . . NAC style Next: Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?

Re: Scouts out. . . NAC style

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 03:08:41 -0400
Subject: Re: Scouts out. . . NAC style

Hi John,

>The Scouts are driving me nuts, though.  Everyone
>pretty much agrees a mechanized batallion needs a
>scout platoon.  No one agrees on what capabilities or
>organization it should have.
>
>Old US was 6 Bradleys with 4 dismounts each.
>
>New US is 10 HMMWVs with 2 dismounts each.
>
>Brits have some light tanks (6??  I don't recall).
>
>Canadians have Lynxs (9, IIRC).

Current CF Mech Recce units use the Coyote.  Lynxs are gone (I'm pretty
sure they're all gone by now...).

The Coyote is a version of the LAV, specifically I think a version of
the
LAV II (as opposed to the LAV I, which is what the Marine Corps uses,
and
the LAV III which is the new CF APC, and is being bought by the US as
their
new wheeled vehicle).  The Coyote has the 25mm cannon turret, but the
rear
compartment is full of recce gear.  It has a (20m ??)(40m ??) mast with
radar, IR, LI sensors that can extend up above trees, etc.  It also
carries
a dismount package of similar sensor gear, attached to the vehicle with
power cable of a hundred or so meters, so the recce troopers can take it
into a hide while the vehicle is behind a hill or something.  Anyway, my
friend who is an ex-armoured recce type says that their recce units were
based around 7 vehicles - three teams of two, and the troop commander's
vehicle (remember CF and Brit "troop" = US "platoon"... the CF and
Brits,
and IIRC Aussies, don't have armoured "companies" - they go
troop/squadron/regiment for platoon/company/battalion).

That was, however, for an armoured recce unit.	The CF infantry
battalions
all have a recce platoon, whether or not they're mechanized, and I think
when they're in mech vehicles, they organize similarly.

(Incedentally, strategypage.com is reporting that a Canadian sniper has
taken over the "longest range confirmed sniper kill" from Carlos
Hathcock's
famous .50 cal shot from '67 or so.... the Canadian was one of the
snipers
assigned to the Recce Platoon of the 3rd Battalion, PPCLI, just now
coming
home from Afghanistan.	I think the actions in question were during
Operation Anaconda, when CF snipers were assigned to a US recce unit to
support the US ground forces, or something like that.  The shot was
about
2.4 km, which is pretty close to a mile and a half...)

I'd suggest that they're given vehicles of the "upgunned APC" type,
rather
than the "MBT" or "Baby MBT" type.  They have to be able to fight if
they
get into trouble, but not with heavy enough equipment that they can't be
(a) nimble, and (b) likely to get themselves into the trouble because
they've got big guns...

I read a sci-fi book once (I think it was "Tunnel in the Sky" by
Heinlein)
where the main character's big sister (???) was a military scout.  When
they were sent on *serious* scouting missions, their commander made them
go
naked, covered in black makeup, with a knife only.  That way, they would
do
*everything* to not be seen, not fight, etc.  While that is a bit
extreme,
there's something to be said for encouraging scouts to not be seen.

On the other hand, as another post pointed out, some of the mech recce
missions may well involve some serious fighting, and in which case they
need to have the numbers and the weapons to make a difference.

I'd go with making them slightly larger than a regular platoon.  Maybe
enough for four two-vehicle patrols, with a command vehicle.  In
addition,
maybe some bike-mounted scouts (or equivalent - grav bikes, hover
platforms, whatever).  Maybe a couple of FAVs or something.  If you
follow
the tradition of having battalion snipers as part of the battalion recce
unit, they'd be part of the TO&E also, though not equipped with their
own
armoured vehicles...

How about this:

NAC Mechanized Battalion Recce Platoon

Platoon Commander's Vehicle (armoured patrol vehicle)
6 x Armoured Patrol Vehicle (3 teams of two)
6 x Fast Attack Vehicle (3 teams of two)

The Platoon Commander's vehicle has a crew of 4 (Platoon Commander,
driver,
gunner, recce technician - for specialized equipment), total 4 troops.

Each armoured patrol vehicle (whatever that ends up being) has a crew of
4
(driver, commander, gunner, tech), for a total of 24 troops.  These
vehicles armed with a mid-size gun, and maybe a GMS system.  Lots of EW,
decoys, etc.  Size 2 or 3.  If you need to dismount someone to go look
into
a building or a bush or whatever, you take 2 of the crew (commander and
tech, probably, so the gunner and the driver can fight the vehicle if
necessary).

The fast attack vehicles have a crew of 2 or 3 (I have a bunch of a cool
resin FAV kit that looks like it should have a crew of 2, but maybe 3
makes
more sense in the recce role), for a total of 18 troops.  These vehicles
armed with a smaller gun and maybe a GMS (RFAC/1 in a turret or pintel
mount, and GMS-L???).  Smaller vehicle - size 1.

Then attach the battalion snipers (maybe there are 4 to 8), total 8.
They
get a vehicle or two to travel in.

Have the patrol vehicle and/or the fav's carry a recce bike on a
rearmounted rack, for dismounted bike operations.

That gives you a total of somewhere between 44 - 54 (ish) troops.

Also remember, in the CF anyway (and I think in British forces ??), the
Recce Platoon commander is often a lot more senior than a regular rifle
platoon commander.  They have experienced Captains commanding, rather
than
Lieutenants.  You might consider having two officers in your recce
platoon
organization, a Capt. and a Lieutenant, as well as the platoon senior
NCO.

If you want more (and dedicated) dismounts, then get rid of the FAV part
of
the force and stick an extra crewman into each vehicle.  Maybe add two
more
of the armoured patrol vehicles, for a total of 4 patrols of 2 plus the
platoon commander's vehicle (total 9 vehicles), and if they have a crew
of
5, then you have a 45 trooper platoon.

They don't need integral support assets, as they're part of a battalion
that has that stuff.

Adrian Johnson
adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca

Prev: Re: Scouts out. . . NAC style Next: Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?