Prev: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone? Next: Re: Spoon Feeding WWII Genre to players was --> Re: GenCon Plans Anyone?

Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1287

From: "W. Nitsche" <bnitsche@u...>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:03:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1287

Oops, I thought Ott only made full-spectrum lamps -- I just assumed that
is what Costco was carrying (didn't look that closely).  That does
explain
why they were only $30 -- I believe the full-spec light replacements
retail for around $30.

Full-spectrum lamps aren't particularly necessary, unless you are
painting
for competition or are using them for you light source for digital
photography.  Regular incandescents and florescents make somewhat minor,
but noticeable changes to colors, washing some out while adding a hue to
others.  If you are just painting for the tabletop, I wouldn't bother
unless money isn't a concern.

>> I noticed Costco started carrying Ott Lights (the desktop version)
about
>> month ago.  I'm not sure if this was a limited offering (I haven't
been
>> since then), but they were being offered at $30!  Shows how much
craft
>> stores or their distributors mark these up.	Anyway, if you have a
Costco
>> nearby, check in the office equipment section.

>I just bought one of these about 2 weeks ago.
>I got it home and realized it wasn't a "full" spectrum one.  (What's
the
>difference ... is it just the bulbs?)

A temporally displaced		Bill Nitsche (bnitsche@u.washington.edu)
	hobbit			Oceanography, University of Washington