Prev: Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME! Next: Re: List dead?

RE: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME!

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:16:02 +1000
Subject: RE: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME!

G'day

> (and with only one planet's resources against
> interstellar empires, that situation _will_ come...
> and once I get to it with enough hardware and/or
> troops to take it or blow it out of the stars altogether...

Doesn't this (like every other part of the argument so far) depend on
what
your background setting is?

I would've thought that if they're attacking the planet they either want
its
resources or they want to stop the people on the planet from hurting
them.
If they want the resources they're not going to want to destroy the
planet.
If they want to stop the people (and don't mind if they kill the planet
in
the process) it suggests the people on the planet have the backing to
hurt/threaten them whether they have a single planet or an entire space
empire of their own. The only exception I can see (and may be I'm just
being
simple minded) is when you have a high tech enemy pre-empting future
rivals
by blowing them out of the water before they get very high. In which
case it
would be an extreme difference in tech levels not available resources
that
makes the difference. If the empire and planets are anywhere near on
parity
then I would've thought the fleet would actually have the supply problem
due
to shipping issues (vs immense available resources on the planet). But
that
comes down to how you imagine your background, how they deal with
resupply,
shipping troops etc.

Any way that's just my take on this paper-scissors-rock conundrum, and
as I
haven't been following the thread too closely, sorry if its already been
said.

Cheers

Prev: Re: Air Power was: REALITY CHECK TIME! Next: Re: List dead?