Prev: Re: [FT] Missile magazines Next: RE: [FT] Missile magazines

Re: [SG] More questions from the weekend

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:22:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] More questions from the weekend

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:46:32 -0400, Adrian Johnson
<adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I like this idea a lot.  It makes the vehicle mounted weapons better,
but
>not outrageously so, and it ties *how* better to the crew quality,
which
>makes sense.

Thank you! That was what I was aiming for.

>Also, it is *simple*.	Not quite as simple as "all vehicle weapons have
>rangebands", but still very simple.  No charts, tables, or whatever.

I found that working out range bands is a bit of a pain unless you play
simple trick with it. Yellows, Greens, Oranges, and Reds are fairly easy
(range bands are multiples of 8, 12, 20, and 24, respectively. It's the
Blues
that cause trouble as most people never memorized their 16 times tables.
The
trick is to multiply the size class of the target by the quality die,
then
double it (instead of multiplying the size class by 16). Once you do
that,
it's pretty easy. Not as easy as infantry, or a fixed range band, but
certainly not horrible.

>Yes, it would have to be - it makes sense for vehicles to be more
capable
>of effective long-range fire than dismounted troops.  And it would
break
>the system a lot of you let infantry do this too.

Do you think it would work to combine both? Open shifts plus the QD x
vehicle
size class x 2 for range bands?

I'm also thinking about World War II games. I'd probably have the range
bands
at QD x vehicle size class x 1 but with open shifts. Otherwise, you'd
have
Veteran Shermans engaging Tigers at 600m for close range, and 3 km for
maximum
range.

>Well, that and infantry firing groundmounted heavy weapons, like the
ESU
>tripod mounted weapons (RFAC/1 and AGL, I believe).

Good point. They should use the vehicle rules, too.

>Maybe having the option would work, but with limits on the damage if
you go
>for the whole squad - if you target a single PA then you potentially
get
>max damage.  If you target the squad, then you only ever get a single
d8
>impact, the same as with non-PA infantry.  More likely to cause
>suppressions than anything else, which makes sense.

This is what I was thinking.

>This is really just like saying that PA suits can optionally be
considered
>a size 1 target on their own...

Good way of putting it.

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"
 - from the Random H.P. Lovecraft Story Generator:

Prev: Re: [FT] Missile magazines Next: RE: [FT] Missile magazines