Prev: Re: [SG] More questions from the weekend Next: Re: [SG] The Tuffley 500

Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions - Vehicle HW's

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:55:59 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions - Vehicle HW's

>>Allow vehicles to move and fire in the same action.  You could draw a
line
>>of sight and measure range from any point in the vehicle's movement,
but
>>the FC die of the vehicle is shifted DOWN one type.  Possibly the
range
>>band of the target is shifted UP one type, also.
>
>I would probably shift the quality die instead of the FC die _or_
increase
the
>range band.

Why not the FC die?  The idea is that the vehicle's FC system is
slightly
less effective when the vehicle is moving, similar to today's systems.
Stabilization might be really good, but it is always going to be a bit
tougher to do a moving shot than one from rest.

Though I guess you could make the same argument for a Quality die
shift...
it being harder for the troops to do the shooting...

Looking at them all, I think maybe shifting the range band up by one
automatically is best.	Particularly if also using the increased size
vehicle rangebands...

Since I already shift the range band up one in my Overwatch rules,
>it seems to make sense in this case to increase the range band for
moving
>vehicles. Seems to be a similar rationale (something moving).

Yeah, maybe.

>Chris points out that in most cases there's no reason to do a combat
move.
The
>average isn't really worth it. I've decided to give a combat move a die
shift
>up on the range band if attacked while moving. I would do the same die
shift
>up for doing a combat move while firing (which would give the range
band two
>die shifts up for vehicles).

Ok, so just to be clear:

if a vehicle is taking a "move and shoot" action, the range to the
vehicle's target is shifted up one rangeband.

if a vehicle is taking a "move and shoot" action and tries a combat
move,
the range to the vehicle's target is shifted up two rangebands,
irrespective of what the distance actually moved is.

That right?

It sounds pretty good to me, but maybe a single rangeband shift to the
target isn't enough of a penalty for being allowed to do this.

How about the range penalties, AND either the FC die or the Quality die
get
shifted down one?

Is that too much of a penalty?

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: [SG] More questions from the weekend Next: Re: [SG] The Tuffley 500