Prev: 100 Kingdoms miniatures Next: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions - Vehicle HW's

Re: [SG] More questions from the weekend

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:46:32 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG] More questions from the weekend

Ok, this thread isn't quite done yet :)

>Subject: Re: [SG] More questions from the weekend
>
>I thought of another way of doing it. See what you think about it.

<snip>

>This falls between the 12" that are present now, and the 24" that may
be a
bit
>much. It also makes more use out of the crew's quality.

I like this idea a lot.  It makes the vehicle mounted weapons better,
but
not outrageously so, and it ties *how* better to the crew quality, which
makes sense.

Also, it is *simple*.  Not quite as simple as "all vehicle weapons have
rangebands", but still very simple.  No charts, tables, or whatever.

>I'm also thinking more about my suggestion of making range band shifts
for
>cover open rather than a closed shift. You could shift the QD down one
for
the
>attacker for each range band over 5. This allows a potential
suppression
>result anywhere on the board. I would suggest that this be allowed
_only_ for
>vehicle mounted weapons.

Yes, it would have to be - it makes sense for vehicles to be more
capable
of effective long-range fire than dismounted troops.  And it would break
the system a lot of you let infantry do this too.

>>This might work for the "heavy-weapons vs. infantry" problem, but
would
>>make armoured targets *even weaker* than they already are...
>
>Only against other vehicles, which is perhaps not that big a problem.

Well, that and infantry firing groundmounted heavy weapons, like the ESU
tripod mounted weapons (RFAC/1 and AGL, I believe).

>>one attack die beating the defense die just gives a suppression.  Two
or
>>more die beating the defense die gives a suppression to the squad and
>>damages ONE PA trooper, who gets the FULL effect of the weapon.  So, a
PA
>>squad targeted by a RFAC/2 suffering a damaging hit (FC + QD both beat
>>defense die), then ONE PA trooper would suffer the d10x4 penetration
roll...

>You know, I kind of like this. But only for single shot weapons. An
RFAC/2, it
>seems to me, should be able to do damage to more than one PA trooper.
Also,
>since a turn is like 5 minutes, I would think that even an HVC could
fire
more
>than one round at the PA guys. Perhaps the firer should have the option
of
>aiming at one PA guy or at the squad in general (the way it would fire
at
>regular infantry).

Maybe having the option would work, but with limits on the damage if you
go
for the whole squad - if you target a single PA then you potentially get
max damage.  If you target the squad, then you only ever get a single d8
impact, the same as with non-PA infantry.  More likely to cause
suppressions than anything else, which makes sense.

This is really just like saying that PA suits can optionally be
considered
a size 1 target on their own...

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: 100 Kingdoms miniatures Next: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions - Vehicle HW's